White Burgundy from the Domaine des Terres de Chatenay

£130.00

A Mixed Case consists of 3 bottles of each of the four wines –

Cuvée Béracius, Mâcon Villages 2016   –  £9.50
Vieilles Vignes, Mâcon-Péronne 2016  –  £9.95
Chazelle , Viré-Clessé 2016                     – £11.95
Fontenay, Viré-Clessé 2016                    – £11.95

Description

 


Jean-Claude Janin acquired this tiny 9-hectare vineyard in 2006 from his wife Marie-Odile’s family. Prior to this he had worked for 16 years as the technical director and winemaker for the co-operative, the Cave de Viré.  He was amazingly fortunate that the vineyard is located on some of the best slopes of this northern part of the Mâcon appellation with some of the oldest vines.

They constructed a small but immaculate winery, where they make tiny quantities of handcrafted wines that are snapped up by private customers and Swiss and American wine importers.

img_2331


In his quest for innovation Jean-Claude has made a small selection of wine from 70-year old vines in the 2015 vintage and this is being aged in clay amphora. The principle is that these encourage subtle oxygenation and result in greater complexity of flavour.  It is not yet ready for bottling, but we tasted it and it was a revelation!

After the enormous success of our first shipment of their 2015s, we have revisited their wines in 2016. Above all they are focussed on the fruit and the minerality of the terroir, in a way that is normally only evident in the wines of the Côte d’Or, such as Puligny Montrachet.

 


The 2016 vintage :
this a ripe vintage with good balancing acidity and good concentration.  They are drinking beautifully at this stage, but they will gain in complexity over the next two years.

Hand-crafted wines of this quality, made from vines of this venerable age and from such a wonderful terroir are incredibly hard to find.  They represent truly outstanding value for money!

We have chosen two delightful Mâcon village wines and two wines from the exciting new appellation of Viré-Clessé, which produces wines of the same quality as the prestigious Pouilly-Fuissé.

 

 

A Mixed Case consists of 3 bottles of each of the following four wines –

Domaine des Terres de Chatenay, Cuvée Béracius 2016
AOP Mâcon Villages
Amazingly the vines of this cuve are on average 60 years old.
Pale green/lemon in colour, this has a fresh zingy, citrus malic nose. In the mouth it is rich with hints of spiced apples and cloves.   It finishes with a hint of lemon zest, lovely mineral acidity and great length.
A super wine that would go perfectly with any fish.

Domaine des Terres de Chatenay, Vieilles Vignes 2016
AOP Mâcon-Péronne
The vines have an average age of 70 years and come from the steep slopes of a limestone plot, which is covered with the fossilised remains of shellfish from the Jurassic period. Jean-Claude vinified 80% of the wine in stainless steel cuves and the remaining 20% in old oak barrels.
There is a fabulous nose of white flowers, quince and honey. On the palate it is rich and more concentrated with exotic flavours of white peach, beeswax and apple. It is beautifully balanced but there is less acidity than the Beracius.

Domaine des Terres de Chatenay, Chazelle 2016
AOP Viré-Clessé
Made from another old vine plot – an average age of 80 years. In this case 10% of the wine is aged in oak barrels.
This has a more complex, herbaceous nose, which leads into a concentrated mouthful of fruit salad flavours, with hints of apple skin, good acidity and a very long mineral finish.

Domaine des Terres de Chatenay, Fontenay 2016
AOP Viré-Clessé
Even older vines make up this wine – an average age of 80 years. Also, 10% of the wine is aged in oak barrels.
The nose is floral with hints of acacia and apple, and a hint of oak. On the palate it is very concentrated, with a silky mouthfeel. It is rich yet elegant with flavours of pineapple and peach and great mineral acidity at the finish. The aftertaste goes on and on.  An amazing wine that continues to evolve and open out in the glass after two hours!

 

Reviews

There are no reviews yet.

Be the first to review “White Burgundy from the Domaine des Terres de Chatenay”